Monday, November 2, 2009

Best Halloween Ever!

I read in, of all places, Luann (the comic strip character) the other day about giving out books for Halloween. There is a website called booksfortreats.org.

Well, I have hundreds of old children’s books and no children to read them! One series of books is R.L. Stine’s Goosebumps. I have about 30 of them. Last night when all the trick or treaters came I gave out candy and each kid got a Goosebumps book. What really surprised me was the enthusiasm of the kids for the books – they LOVED it! They ignored the candy and went through the stack of books looking for just the right one! I was really impressed with these kids. I heard a lot of them say “I love to read”!! After about an hour kids started showing up asking if I was the house giving out books. Can you believe that!?! I gave out all the Goosebumps books and there were a few really little kids and I gave them Beatrix Potter books.

Best Halloween EVER!

Blog post by Debra Linn, Advertising Director

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool that it worked so well for you! This is my experience, too, which is why I decided to start Books For Treats and help others give books to their trick-or-treaters. And Goose Bumps is always a hit with the 3rd/4th graders on up. Even the teenagers still like them sometimes.

    Thanks for mentioning the program in your blog. May I excerpt your story for the www.BooksForTreats.org site? I'm collecting success stories for the naysayers who send me nasty emails saying I was killing Halloween and childhood fun!

    Rebecca Morgan
    Founder, Books For Treats
    www.BooksForTreats.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails